Brand Review for elf!
(sorry for bad photo quality, my camera is out of commission and my phone is meh)
So these are the 14 products I own from elf (I actually have a brush but I’ve never tried it so I’m not going to review it).
First my overall feelings: I know people have very different opinions on elf - either it’s fantastic or terrible, but I just feel like this line is FANTASTIC but for two main reasons: 1. it’s vegan and 2. it’s inexpensive. Those two things don’t come together very often and here they exist in the form of very formidable products. Some of them are misses for me and for others, but others do exactly what they say they will for a dollar or three. I will always pick up some elf products when I’m at my local target and the next time the studio line is on sale I’m probably going to buy nearly everything.
My top five picks from the brand are:
1. elf Eyebrow kit
2. elf Essential Clear Eyelash and Brow Gloss
3. elf Clarifying Pressed Powder
4. elf Blushes
5. elf Flawless Finish Foundation
Now, I’m just going to do a quick run through by what the product of what I own:
From left to right, top to bottom:
- elf Studio Lipsticks in Pink Mink and Rosy Go -Round - Pink Mink is more pigmented although I initially hated the color when I bought it, I now wear it regularly and like it. Rosy Go-Round is much more like a tinted lip balm in my opinion, so it was a little disappointing. For the price, though, great. 4/5
- elf Under Eye Concealer and Brightener - This actually one of my favorite products. I don’t use it for under eyes, I actually use it for my eyebrows to really make them look neat and sharp. 5/5
- elf Lip Lock Pencil - So, I’m not exactly sure if this is a good product or not, honestly. I’ve tried it a few times but only with OCC’s Lip Tars. I realized later on that I was using way too much product which is why my feathering was out of control, I think this did add to longevity, though. 4/5?
- elf Clear Eyelash and Eyebrow Gloss - This is my second time purchasing it, they make a great eyebrow gel for $1, sold. 5/5
- elf Waterproof Lengthening & Volumizing Mascara - I’ve always feltlike a mascara is a mascara so whatever, that was until I found Too Faced’s Better Than Sex mascara and now shell out way too much for my lashes. This product is fine, I don’t reach for it except to maybe use on my brows sometimes. 3/5
- elf Flawless Finish Foundation - This part is going to sound a little bit nutty. This is one of the best foundations I’ve ever worn. I have very, very dry and flaky skin so that is still apparent with this (as it has been with 60 dollar, 30 dollar, 1 dollar foundations my whole life) but for 6 bucks, I really like this. It matches my shade well (this is their lightest color) and it lasts for a long time with their primer. This might become my go-to foundation? Who would have thought! 5/5
- elf Eyebrow Kit in Medium - I use this product every day for my eyebrows and prefer it over Tarte’s eyebrow mousse. The absolute best, even though I only use the wax part and not really the eyeshadow. 5/5
- elf Blushes in Twinkle Pink and Candid Coral - Most of these blushes are meant to be dupes for NARS. I bought Twinkle Pink because it was a sort-of dupe for NARS’ Orgasm which was my favorite blush. I actually like the coloring in this blush better, it’s slightly more pink, the pigmentation isn’t as good (obviously) but this is still my primary blush. Candid coral is a really nice, subtle color on me and just great! 5/5
- elf Mineral Face Primer in Redness Reducing - I read a lot of reviews that “this does nothing,” on their website, but I have a feeling that people expect to wear just this and have their red skin magically gone? It’s a foundation primer, and under my foundation it gets rid of my redness. Great dupe for the non-vegan, animal tested Smashbox primer which is what I used to use. Very happy. 5/5
- elf Contouring Blush & Bronzer - Meh, I don’t really like this product that much. The blush is nice, all of elf’s blushes seem nice, but the “contouring” bronzer has so much sparkle in it you can’t contour with it and that’s what I bought it for. Supposed to be a NARS dupe of Laguna or something? For me, the mirror is the best part of this product. 2/5
- elf Clarifying Pressed Powder - First, this is ONE DOLLAR. Second, it’s great! Fantastic! I carry this with me in my purse if my face is looking a bit red and this gives a nice natural finish. I adore it! 5/5
- elf Everyday Brush Cleaner - Maybe if I was good at remembering to clean my brushes, I’d use this every day, but, I don’t. It’s fine though, I’m not going to rate it because I don’t think I can give a fair rating.
Brand overall: 4.5/5.
Hope this helped people who are interested in elf! Remember, the essentials brushes are *not* vegan. Some essentials products are packaged with them, so those products aren’t vegan either!
Edit: Also their makeup removing wipes & nail polish removing pads are great!